However, you may be interested in my game plan. In summary, it's about pacing, positive attitude, and relaxed riding style. Here it is:
- Meet Helen every hour
- Bottle of Perpeteum and bottle of water each stop
- No stopping in Taupo
- Stops to be fast
- No rest stops planned, but be flexible on that
- Helen to monitor me. Also to take notes for future reference.
- Pacing is the all-important theme of this race!
Lap 1 (Light and relaxed):
- Theme of “Light and relaxed”. Watch style/technique!
- Pacing! Ride at a pace I mean to continue with.
- The measure off how well I do this is a genuinely cheerful “Hi” to Helen each time I see her. If cramping, then I’m definitely failing on this!
- But be efficient – make the full 4-lap average speed as high as possible.
- Be happy! Treat it as Sunday-drive equivalent. Make sure I’m enjoying it.
- Easy up the hills and rollers.
- Don’t feel pressured to go fast up Kuretau and Waihi hills.
- On flats, go fast, but with easy, efficient style.
- Don’t be suckered into going fast along lake-front and through Taupo. You’re on a Sunday jaunt!
Lap2 (Steady and efficient):
- Theme is “Steady and efficient”.
- It’s hurting now and you’re tired. Keep a relaxed style going up the hills. Keep mind steady and positive.
- Eat up those kilometres, enjoying the interaction with Helen along the way.
- Also enjoy the change from day to night. Even enjoy the SH1 traffic.
- Don’t race the No. 1 highway; just an easy and steady pace.
Lap 3 (I am happy):
- Theme is “I am happy”. I’m here because I want to be here. I can’t think of anywhere else I would rather be.
- It’s all about achievement. Just continue to eat up those kilometres, and do so with a smile on my face.
- Light and easy mind. It’s great to be doing what I’m doing!
- Relax and ride through that pain and tiredness.
- Every pedal is taking me on to the next milestone. Positivity!
- Enjoy the night. Listen to the night sounds.
- Celebrate people I meet. Everyone is friendly!
- Breaks to be only for stretches, toilet, and bottle change. Only 2-3 minutes. If need break, stand up off the seat!
Lap 4: (You’re a hero)
- Theme is “You’re a hero”.
- Sub-theme no. 1 is “Act like a hero then … and race!” Look like the athlete I am!
- Sub-theme no. 2 is “Acknowledge and feed off all the praise and support I will get. This is the celebration lap!”
- The final lap is one of other people – talk to them; accept their praise; interact with them; encourage them in their own efforts; enjoy their company.
- Show off! And just go get that prize!!!
- But keep your mind focussed. Remember, this is a race!
- Practically speaking, keep the food intake up and … keep hydrated!
- If possible, join bunches. If too fast, let them go.
- Ride through the pain